The DISIT Lab, since 1994, is one of the most active ICT/AI labs of the University of Florence, metropolitan Tuscany area, and it is an official Regional Lab in Tuscany, Certified Experts of FIWARE, member of GAIA-X, EDIH Tuscan X, UNINFO ISO, CINI big data, CINI smart city, CNIT, CBDAI, PhD-AI national, etc.
DISIT has coordinated a number of large EC projects, in many others has covered the role of partner, and also coordinating scientific and technical WP and performing activities of dissemination and assessment. DISIT successfully developed a relevant number of International and National research, development and innovation projects and direct contract with industries and public administrations mainly cities and regions. DISIT Lab is strongly active in the area of Artificial Intelligence, Smart City and communities, industry 4.0, mobility and transport, environmental, HPC, etc.
|DISIT research areas:
The DISIT research group consists of about 20 people working on smart city, industry 4.0, artificial intelligence, data analytics, big data analysis with a special care to on domains of mobility and transport, environment, energy, health, justice, retail, quality of life. DISIT lab has a dedicated datacenter for bigdata solutions on which https://www.snap4city.org and Twitter Vigilance are operated, providing services for a large number of cities and regions
DISIT Lab is/has working/worked for many relevant public administrations in Italy, France, Belgium, Finland, Spain, Sweden, Croatia, Bosnia, Greece, etc. and also for: ISPRA JRC of the European Commission, ANCI, Tuscany Region, etc.
DISIT solutions for: user behaviour analysis, multilingual and cross media indexing, user and collective profiling, indoor/outdoor navigation, media synchronisation, matchmaking, audio transcoding, sentient and autonomous agents and tools, open data, linked open data.
(see more on Publications and Current Projects page, see on the left bar of this page for the Conferences in which DISIT is directly involved). See web page of DISIT coordinator Prof. Paolo Nesi
DISIT lab may develop original solutions in RIA project as well as solutions grounded on available DISIT tools for specified TRL for IA, inovation action projects:
Skill and competences
• 3D reconstruction, mounted display, virtual environments, global digital twin, local digital twin
• AI algorithms and solutions
• AI/XAI algorithms and solutions: environment, mobility, terrain sliding
• Big data management and analytics
• Big Data provider
• BIM GIS interoperability
• Copernicus Satellite data processing for smart city and industry
• Data discovery and data surrogates/replacements
• Data driven increase resilience of buildings and infrastructures
• Data flow vs work flow interoperability
• Data interoperability, data aggregation and semantic processing
• Data sharing and data space federation
• Decision making processes
• Digital Twin solutions: building scale and city scale
• GDPR platform testing and verification
• Green Deal objectives
• Industrial-Urban Symbiosis (I-US)
• Interoperating with haptic devices, data collection and control data driven
• IoT interoperability, edge, fog and cloud
• KPI modelling and computing
• No-code online collaborative distributed developing environment
• Ontology development for cognitive reasoning
• Prediction and control of pollutants/aerosol, CO2, NO2, GHG; taking into account 3D flows
• Predictive maintenance, early warning, anomaly detection
• Sensor networks, data aggregation, semantic models
• Simplified data gathering platform for satellite data
• symbolic and hybrid approaches
• Testing AI algorithms on different contexts: smart city, industry, human behaviour, mobility,
• Trustworthy AI, explainable AI, resilient AI
• Trustworthy AI, explainable AI, transparent AI
• What-if analysis
Some Flyers as PDF (for links to the projects web pages see on the left):
- Snap4City: https://www.snap4city.org/download/video/DPL_SNAP4CITY_2022-v02.pdf
- Snap4Industry: https://www.snap4city.org/download/video/DPL_SNAP4INDUSTRY_2022-v03.pdf
- tools:Linked Open Graph, MyStoryPlayer, DiCCoF, SocialGraph, AXMEDIS AXCP
- area: Sii-Mobility(ENG), Coll@bora(ENG), Sii-Mobility(ITA), Coll@bora(ITA)
- transporation: TRACE-IT, RAISSS, TESYSRAIL, Sii-Mobility(ENG)
- Smart Cloud: ICARO
- mobile applications: Content Organizer, Mobile Emergency(ITA), MobileEmergency(ENG)
- see more on Tools Page, and Current Projects page.
References of DISIT activities in the areas of:
• Herit-Data, https://herit-data.interreg-med.eu/ Interreg project for the implementation of innovative solution to better manage tourism flows impact on cultural and natural heritage sites through technologies and big data. We are the official platform for the big data collection and analysis for the areas of Florence, Mostar, Pont Du Gard, Valencia, and Greece.
• MOBIMART, http://interreg-maritime.eu/web/mobimart/home for the implementation of the integration of transport system, with high attention to tourism. Snap4City has been selected as a reference platform for Tuscany area.
• Snap4City PCP of Select4Cities, which has generated the Snap4City platform presently on EOSC
(European Open Science Cloud) Https://www.snap4city.org (Coordinated by DISIT Lab, Paolo Nesi). A platform for smart city IOT as a service, also implementing IOT Applications, IOT data analytic, dashboard, end-2-end secure IOT platform, etc. Which passed two PENTESTs performed by two major companies in Europe (Thales, Setek), and it has been qualified the Winner of PCP of Select4Cities. What if analysis https://www.snap4city.org/dashboardSmartCity/view/index.php?iddasboard=MjE5MA==
• REPLICATE EC H2020 SCC1 Lighthouse project https://replicate-project.eu/ development of Smart City Control Room in Florence metro Area. Today operative the solution has been totally based on Snap4City and Km4City solutions of DISIT Lab. The project as a wall has also produced solutions and pilots for energy management of building, e-taxi, etc.
o Control Room: https://www.snap4city.org/drupal/node/531
• RESOLUTE EC H2020 DR7 project http://www.resolute-eu.org/ Resilience of Urban transport System (Coordinated by DISIT Lab, Paolo Nesi). Big data Driven critical infrastructure resilience for the development of the European Guidelines of Critical Infrastructure Resilience of cities and in particular on transport systems. The solution has been based on the exploitation of data in the city area and produce hints by using a large number of data analytics for people flow prediction and analysis, evacuation paths, early warning, Twitter data sentiment analysis, social media alerting, etc.
• TRAFAIR CEF, https://trafair.eu/ for the implementation of predictive models for environmental data such as NOX with particular attention to the pollution produced by: traffic, heating, etc.
• MOSAIC smart mobility solutions, models and tools for: (i) the analysis and matching between the offer of transportation and demand of mobility based on census data, tourism, city facilities, etc.; (ii) connected drive solutions; (iii) prediction on parking and multimodal hubs;
• Snap4Ispra contract with ISPRA JRC of European Commission for study and implementation of Snap4City solution on ISPRA plant and village of the EC.
• Cyprus Smart City Strategy, ..
• UNISYSTEMS Contract for Smart Cities, ..
• Other: AXMEDIS, WEDELMUSIC, WEEE Life, Life project on RAE, etc.
• National projects:
o Sii-Mobility SCN smart city national project http://www.sii-mobility.org/ of MIUR (Italian ministry of research) (Coordinated by DISIT Lab, Paolo Nesi), for developing a unified mobility and transport infrastructure and solution for sustainable mobility, smart parking, dynamic traffic shape, matching demand and offer, etc. This platform produced the Km4City ontology, today well known (https://www.km4city.org )
• Regional projects: AMPERE, Feedback, Enterprise, Soda, … GreenField, 5G, LAID (on Smart BEDs), Trace-IT, RAISS, etc.
• Contracts with:
o ISPRA JRC of the European Commission
DISIT has received a number of awards, for projects such as Snap4City, WEDELMUSIC, AXMEDIS. And Awards for best paper conferences and for innovation.
- Best paper Award, on DMSVIVA 2022, for Global Digital Twin, 3D representation of cities
- ISO MPEG award to Paolo Nesi and Pierfrancesco Bellini for the service provided as MPEG AHG chair of MPEG SMR, and editing of the Part 23 of the MPEG4 standard.
- Best paper awards: IEEE ICECCS su TILCO, AXMEDIS, DMS2011 su OSIM, DMS2014 con Mobile emergency, DMS2015 con NLP on Hadoop.
- 4 different Innovations of DISIT Lab have been selected by the Italian Ministery Agency for the diffusion of Innovation Technologies in the national competition Italy of Innovators.
- Cross Media Learning Management System at MIUR..INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI.to get more, it is currently in use on: ECLAP portal and EC CIP PsP project ECLAP Best Practice Network and e-learning support in connection with Europeana, APRETOSCANA, Mobile Medicine, a portal for medical distance learning and social networking.
- Mobile Medicine on MIUR.INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI..to get more please see Mobile Medicine Social Network and iPad/iPhone and windows PDA tools
- Mobile Emergency at MIUR -..INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI... to get more on Mobile Emergency, an Apple App for iPhone. A tool to manage emergency in the hospital area. Developed in collaboration with the Maxi Emergency group on Mobile Medicine. The solution also implies the connection with a server to manage the emergencies and the help the people involved in getting the exit and the collecting centers according to model of interventions.
- Content Processing Media Grid, AXCP on MIUR.INNOVAZIONE SELEZIONATA DA ITALIA DEGLI INNOVATORI.. to get more it is the core technology for semantic computing and media grid the so called AXCP Media Grid computing tools. It is going to appear on IEEE Multimedia in the 2011 and it has been developed starting from one of the results of AXMEDIS project . Technical Note in AXCP, download the PDF
- winner of MIREX 2009 competition: DISIT partecipated to MIREX competition for the 2009, about the polyphonic music transcoding algorithms and tools. Multiple Fundamental Frequency Estimation & Tracking Results. DISIT resulted to be the winner for the Tukey-Kramer HSD Multi-Comparison for Task2B (Piano). Conference 2009.
- AXMEDIS FP6 IST research and development project: considered as one of the most succesfull IP projects of the FP6 in the area of content and tools. Social Network and content demonstration: XMF
- WEDELMUSIC project has been selected as one of the best top 20 projects in the area of “Cross media content and publishing” for the FP 5 of the European Commission. On such grounds it has been granted with the support of the ADOPT-IT project, even after the WEDELMUSIC project reached its end.
- Discovery technology award: DISIT reached the final in the area of Information Technology, among several submitted papers, with his research work for the MOODS project, where Prof. P. Nesi was coordinator. The project itself has been proposed for candidacy by the Disney Company in 2001.
- Pirelli Internet Technology Award 2002, DISIT reached the final in the area of Information Technology among more than 1200 submitted papers, with his research work for the project WEDELMUSIC IST FP 5.
DISIT Spin off
has generated Snap4 srl spinoff
DISIT Managed networks and communities
DISIT is managing Snap4City.org: https://www.snap4city.org
DISIT Master Studies, Ph.D. Courses and work with
If you are interested in performing a stage, thesis or a doctoral study at DISIT please contact his director Prof Paolo Nesi and visit the related web pages for thesis, projects and didaptical activities